Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Personal Statement

Most might say that their biggest fear would be rejection; I know it was for me once upon a time. But when high school starts, one realizes that if you want to stand out, if you want to make your mark, you have to take chances. I learned this very early on in high school, which prompted me to get involved in a lot of organizations with in my school. I knew it would not only keep me close to my peers, but also give me an opportunity to stand out and show case my unique character. I wanted to be to be associated with a positive reputation among my peers and superiors. I wanted to lead by example, and I did it by going out on a limb.
After my freshman year in high school, I began getting involved in a lot of school clubs, especially those who promoted volunteer services with in my community. By my Junior year I was involved in Key Club, French Club, Student Council, and National Honor Society. Through all four of these organizations, I have participated in many volunteer services not only in my school, but in my community as well. I believe helping out others builds one’s character, and this is what I always mainly take away from my volunteering experience. Now, I actually enjoy volunteering and assisting others. This eventually lead me to join other organizations, not only in my school, but in my community. Aside from National Honor Society and Student Council, I also applied at our local community hospital’s teen volunteer program ,and I was accepted too. Nowadays, I’m not only involved in my school activities, but once a week I go and volunteer up at the hospital too.
I have become a very busy teenager with everything I am committed to, but it has all become well worth it. All these associations in return, began giving me . Like I said earlier, helping out others is good for the soul; it builds one’s character. This leads to better opportunities, giving you chances to step up to the plate. After demonstrating my responsibility and other positive characteristics, I was offered by my volunteer coordinator at the hospital an opportunity to become teen leader of my volunteer group. I of course was thrilled and accepted; now, I have been the head teen volunteer leader of my group for almost a year. But it didn’t stop there; this gave me confidence and I decided to further showcase my abilities in the other organizations I was involved in as well. But this time I had to sell my self and prove to my fellow peers that I would not fail them as a leader; I had to go out on a limb and leave it to my fellow student’s vote. With my impressive credentials, I guess after all I did convince many. Aside from my teen volunteer leader position, by the end of my junior year I became Vice-president of Key Club, Junior Class Representative of Student Council, I was elected to French Club Executive Court, and elected Vice-president of National Honor Society. Hard work and dedication truly pays off.

No comments:

Post a Comment